WELL...WE DID IT. 2020 is in the books!
I am happy to say that during a pandemic, our Chapter completed its mission and held a very well attended Statewide event this month while offering 15 RCHs from our various meetings for our members in 2020. WOW! That was quite an accomplishment.
Our Statewide Conference presenters offered an array of topics that covered relevant material of various aspects concerning COVID legislation and other important payroll related topics.
I can't say THANK YOU enough to our presenters: Dallas Wilfong, Tina Peery Gholson, Tricia Richardson, Phil Yamalis, Ronii Rizzo, and Larry White. WIthout their support towards our Chapter and their dedication to the payroll industry, our Statewide would not be on the upper echelon of Statewide Conferences this year. Our Statewide had 75 attendees hailing from six states. Considering there were only FIVE Statewide Conference nationwide, I think ours was the best!!
This month, all of the slideshows from the Statewide Payroll Conference are available on our website. Anyone wishing to listen to our Chapter meeting along with the slide show may check out our video portfolio. The video link is available under our Resources page.
It's never to late to renew your membership for 2021. All 2020 memberships will lose access to our website at the end of March. Renew today and enjoy all the benefits of your local Chapter. Annual dues are $60 per person. We are happy to offer our Black Friday special with a $10 discount if membership is renewed by December 31st. A rock bottom rate for everyone!
I am happy to announce that Tammie Downey will be our next Chapter President effective January 1, 2021. We look forward to the Chapter moving forward under Tammie's leadership. Tammie's term will be from January 2021 - December 2023.
With Tammie's ascension to the Presidency, a special election was held to fulfill Tammie's remaining year of Vice-President. This role will be filled by Fred Weissert until December 2021. I look forward to supporting Tammie and the rest of the Board as we eagerly look forward to closing 2020 and have an open eye towards 2021.
The Chapter is also seeking an Education Director. This individual is responsible for procuring our speakers and upholding the core Chapter mission of supplying RCH education to our members. We have worked very hard to make this a yearly committment of 18 RCHs. This is very valuable for our members and speaks volumes to the quality of our Chapter
The Chapter is also seeking a Secretary. This individual would serve as the communication voice of our Chapter. Creation and the distribution of the newsletter and keeping the minutes of Board meeting are the main duties of this important position.
As you may see, a little by a select few would truly benefit the many. Step up and serve your Chapter today.
I would like to say THANK YOU to all the members and attendees I have met or worked with during my EIGHT years as your Chapter President. I can never thank Tammie Downey, Amy Finnegan, Tina Frysinger, Kathleen Conn, Angela Fiedler, and Wendy Perrott enough who have served in various roles on the Board during my time. We could not have achieved all that we have done during my tenure. Their tireless time and dedication to make our Chapter one of the best in the country is a testament to the greatness of our members.
I am very proud of some of the achievements we have done during my tenure:
- Expanding our RCH availability to at least 18 RCH annually.
- Keeping our annual membership and meeting costs at a very low price point compared to other professional organizations.
- Dealing with our meeting hotel closing after 24 years hosting our Chapter and then a pandemic was a major speed bump. But all of this happening within 6 months and we never missed a beat in 2020 was simply astounding.
- Placing our Chapter on a much better financial footing with an eye towards the future.
- Creating our remote location model and expanding it when possible.
- Creating a new Chapter website which won the APA Chapter Website of the year.
- Creating a video channel and recording our Chapter meetings which captured the education for all of our members to review at their convenience. This video channel has FIVE years' worth of meetings.
- Utilizing our website to better manage our backoffice operations for membership management, accounting, meeting registrations, and communications for our members & the world.
I was truly honored and blessed to serve as our Chapter President for these last 8 years. I highly encourage that everyone should take some time and step-up to volunteer for our Chapter. The rewards greatly outweigh the time and effort put in.
We are looking for speakers in 2021. Topics such garnishments/child supports, e-Verify, Payroll Accounting, Non-Resident Alien processing and How to Change Payroll Dates are examples. Any of these topics or something else where a subject matter expert is willing to present will be welcomed.
If you or one of your vendors have the ability to present to our group please contact me to schedule your presentation.
The easily accepted topics are listed on this website, http://www.americanpayroll.org/pdfs/chapters/100poptops.pdf. Please review the list and contact me to schedule your speaking opportunity.
Our membership group should be able to supply and support a diverse group of educational opportunities for our Chapter.
Please contact Tina Frysinger, the Chapter's Education Director, for further information.
We are looking to re-establish and expand this service in 2021. We are the only local payroll Chapter on the western side of the Appalachian Mountains. That means we are the only resource for over 75% of Pennsylvania and 99% of West Virginia as well as good portions of Kentucky and Virginia. Since our Chapter offers a consistent program of at least 18 RCHs annually, our Chapter is prime to expand our outreach to these underserved areas. Other locations could develop as hosts become available. This process will be managed based on a demographic area/zone to ensure our limited bandwidth and resources are managed wisely. Some desired locations include:
- Somerset (Bedford & Somerset counties)
- Uniontown (Fayette & Greene counties)
- Morgantown, WV (Marion, Monogalia, Preston & Taylor counties)
- Charleston, WV (serving a very large area)
- Huntington, WV (serving a large area)
- Youngstown, OH
- Saint Clairsville, OH
Our goal is to create learning opportunities for more payroll professionals while making it more convenient on everyone's travel concerns. To ensure we stay compliant with any APA concerns, we will treat each satellite location just as the Pittsburgh site. Attendees would need to meet in a central location, sign in and attend the meeting, upon completion of the meeting receive their RCHs for their time and attendance. All of this at a reduced cost versus the rate at the Pittsburgh location since we will not be providing lunch at the satellite locations.
Remember our soldiers & the local food banks.
The food banks need filled EVERY week to sustain their outreach programs. Your donations helps in their efforts.
APA Training Opportunities
SAVE THE DATES FOR 2021 EDUCATION EVENTS
The American Payroll Association & local chapters offers many wonderful opportunites to learn, grow and network.
|Mar 10, 2021||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Coraopolis, PA|
|May 5, 2021||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Coraopolis, PA|
|July 14, 2021||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Coraopolis, PA|
|Sept 8, 2021||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Coraopolis, PA|
|Nov 12, 2021||Western PA Chapter - 3rd Annual: Pittsburgh Payroll Bash||Coraopolis, PA|
|July 7-Sept 8 (every Wed)||CPP/FPC study group||TBD|
|TBD||Payroll Issues for Multi-State Employers||TBD|
|TBD||Intermediate Payroll Concepts||TBD|
|TBD||Payroll Tax Forum||TBD|
|TBD||Strategic Leadership Certificate||TBD|
|TBD||Payroll Practice Essentials||TBD|
|TBD||Global Payroll Mgmt Certification||TBD|
|TBD||Local Income Tax Compliance||TBD|
|TBD||Preparing for Year End & 2021||TBD|
|TBD||PA Statewide Conference||Hosted by Southeastern PA Chapter|
|Mar 15-17, 2021||Capital Summit||ONLINE only|
|May 18-20, 2021||APA Congress||Nashville, TN|
|TBD||Payroll Leaders Conference||TBD|
|Oct 24-27, 2021||Educational Institutions Payroll Conference||Denver, CO|
Some national events have various locations available to attend. Please review the seminar in question on the APA website for location venues available.
Click here for more information: http://www.americanpayroll.org/course-conf/
- Ensure the organization's compliance with local, state, and Federal tax withholding, remittance, and reporting. This also includes working closely with appropriate teams to ensure appropriate tax withholding methodologies are applied to employee equity, non-cash compensation, and supplemental compensation.
- Primary contact for payroll tax-related issues, troubleshoot, and resolve complex issues where considerable judgment is required. Coordinate and supervise the development and implementation of action plans to address issues or findings. Review summaries of process control findings, present issues to management.
- Maintains internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by audits (both internal & external). Functionally identify, plan and execute procedural improvements in relation to payroll tax to enhance as well as promote effectiveness, efficiency, compliance and accuracy.
- Stay current on legislative and industry changes that affect US payroll tax withholding, remittance, or filing obligations.
- Ten years or more of domestic payroll and payroll tax knowledge.
- Multi-state experience is a must
- Knowledge of ADP is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of applicable rules and regulations surrounding payroll tax as well as applicable systems knowledge.
- Strong ability to read, comprehend and analyze intricate regulatory payroll tax information, including having a comprehensive understanding of payroll tax and the statutory environment, for Federal, local, and state tax regulations.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, coaching, organizational, verbal, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills applied in a constantly changing fast-paced environment.
- Process improvement or simplification experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources, related field or equivalent experience. MBA or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred.
Send resume to [email protected]
Tina M. Kirsch
Schneider Downs & Co., Inc.
One PPG Place, Suite 1700
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-5416
Work Phone: 412-697-5209
Cell Phone: 412-400-6679
Product Support: 866-999-7326
Vector Security, located in Warrendale, PA is hiring a Payroll/HRIS Manager to join our HR team!
Have you been successful in managing people and processes? Do you enjoy the challenge of ensuring all employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner? Do you like to use technology to look for ways to do things in a more efficient way? Do you like to think outside the box but are really good with details? Then this may be the perfect position for you!
Apply using this link:
Here are some of the things you’ll do:
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage the overall payroll, time, labor and HRIS functions. This includes ensuring the accurate preparation and transmission of bi-weekly, multi-state payroll for over 1,500 employees.
As a manager, you will:
- Promote a positive work environment and manage the priorities, development, and performance of direct reports.
- Develop and train team to ensure understanding and ability to operate the various components and modules of the HRIS system.
- Ensure team has the knowledge to create and run various reports and understand the
flow and relationship between HR, Payroll and Finance.
- Maintain vendor relationships and compliance
- Oversee the training of new employees and managers on HRIS, Payroll and Time & Attendance systems.
Supporting Payroll and HRIS, you will:
- Oversee the administration of garnishments and other special payroll deductions. o Be responsible for the intake and implementation of needed system
enhancements/upgrades for payroll, HRIS and time and attendance systems. o Troubleshoot HRIS workflows in collaboration with HR colleagues.
o Coordinate efforts between payroll, human resources, and the accounting/finance departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data, including preparation/distribution of detailed reports.
o Collaborate with HR colleagues for data integrity and alignment to ensure appropriate administration of pay and status and organization changes.
o Continuously review and communicate local, state, and federal laws to ensure systems and processes are compliant.
o Oversee department audits of payroll and HRIS system.
- Review and analyze current procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best practice operations.
- Manage the appropriate response to all employee inquiries regarding pay, time off and
- Support the creation and implementation of various HR policies in accordance with federal, state and local ordinances.
- Assist with the completion and submission of compliance reporting including ACA, EEO-1, OFCCP and WC Audits and others as needed.
- Oversee year-end payroll reconciliation and W-2/1095-C forms. o Complete additional projects as assigned.
What are we looking for from you?
- Bachelor’s degree in in Accounting, Finance or related field and or equivalent work. CPP preferred.
- Minimum 5 years payroll experience performing all payroll functions in a multi-state, multi-unit, mid to large organization and 5 years HRIS experience with databases, HR software, payroll systems, ATS system and other HCM modules.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong Excel skills.
- Strong understanding of the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated system.
- Superior knowledge of payroll best practices with a desire for continuous improvement.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, good judgment, organization and decision-making skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Can establish effective and cooperative working relationships with all organizational levels.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimal supervision and make decisions independently; must also be able to work as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal payroll laws.
- UltiPro experience preferred.
This position is conveniently located at our corporate office building near Cranberry Twp. This location offers free parking, an onsite cafeteria and free 24 hour gym access.
Why Join Us?
Consumer Affairs continues to report us as the Best Rated Home Security System Company. We're also a two-time winner of Dealer of the Year from SDM Magazine, two-time winner of the Police Dispatch Quality (PDQ) Award, and multi-year winner of the Central Station Operator of the Year Award from The Monitoring Association. Top 4 largest security company.
Sure, we’ve got the hardware and the recognition, but the real reason to join Vector Security is our people. People who are passionate about the work they do. Energetic people who innovate, who take on new challenges. People, perhaps, like you.
We’re excited – so when we find good people, we hold on to them … through performance incentives, career advancement opportunities, internal promotion, and continuing education.
So, whether you’re a proven leader in your discipline or looking for new challenges, Vector Security may have the right opportunity for you. We seek driven, proactive, talented individuals who are excited about what the future holds. Because we are. Come join us and find out for yourself!
Along with competitive compensation and career advancement opportunities, we offer a comprehensive “Total Rewards” package. Qualifying employees receive:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Company paid life and AD&D insurance
- Company paid short- and long-term disability
- Voluntary benefit products
- 401k retirement savings plan after just 60 days
- Paid time off for vacation, sick and floating holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Vector Security is a Drug-Free Workplace
Vector Security is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Senior Payroll Analyst
This position is responsible for working directly with our payroll outsourcer to ensure accurate payroll processing for US employee population, as well as non-US based expatriate employees whose payroll is administered by a third party. The principal challenge of the Payroll Senior Analyst position is to ensure payroll regulatory compliance. This requires detailed knowledge and understanding of payroll. The incumbent will participate as an internal consultant, and point of expertise, to all of businesses and customer / user groups.
Major Activities/Key Challenges:
Work as part of a team to monitor, develop or procure, implement, and support HR processes and systems by utilizing technically sound methods of requirements and process definition, systems analysis and design, planning, scheduling, and testing.
Establish and maintain a high level of customer interaction and focus in order to identify improvement opportunities and recommend solutions to solve business issues.
Operate within standards and conventions and RU/BU standards.
Demonstrate a deep understanding of the business processes in area(s) of assignment.
Pursue continuous learning consistent with the movement in the job requirements and changes in technology and service delivery.
Provide solutions that meet the needs of the customer following standards and conventions and return value to the business.
Provide subject matter expertise in the processes and systems in assigned area(s) of responsibility.
Provide expert advice and counsel to the users of the processes and systems in assigned area(s) of responsibility.
Manage assigned activities of self and others within the scope of the project.
Manage and execute according to project plan.
Manage projects independently, provide regular status communications, create and monitor schedules, and own priorities.
Through data analyses identify areas for improvement and develop plans to address those areas.
Manage in part or in entirety a Service Level Agreement.
Job Specific Functions
Understands and stay informed of labor agreement changes that may impact payroll
Consult on payroll and garnishment issues
Address payroll issues brought to the Payroll team
Review error reports and ensure resolution
Request, test and approve set up of new and changes to existing set-up within PeopleSoft
Work with third party vendors to manage unemployment insurance rates
Heavily involved in year-end payroll processing and W-2 preparation
Other duties as assigned by Payroll Operations management