WELCOME TO 2018
As we welcome a new year and look forward to the end a long winter, we had our first meeting of 2018!!
I wish to thank Michael Garofalo for presenting at our first meeting of the new year. He covered a lot of material concerning some updates detailing his take on the current status of the ACA. Once we receive the slideshow from him it will be upload to our website. We wish to give a great round of applause to Angela Feidler and Tina Frysinger for their update on the Tax Cuts and Job Act that was passed in late December 2017. The slideshow from their presentation has been uploaded to our website. Anyone wishing to listen to our Chapter meeting along with the slide show check out our video portfolio. The video link is available under our Resources page.
It's never to late to renew your membership for 2018. All 2017 memberships lost access to our website at the end of March. Renew today and enjoy all the benefits of your local Chapter. Annual dues are $50 per person. We will always have the Black Friday special after the November meeting and offer a $10 discount if membership is renewed by December 31st. A rock bottom rate for everyone!
NEW PLATINUM SPONSOR
We wish to welcome Ultimate Software as our newest Platinum Sponsor. We look forward to a long last relationship between our two organizations.
2018 PAYROLL PERSON OF THE YEAR
The Susquehanna Valley Chapter of the APA is in the planning stages for the 2018 Statewide Payroll Conference. The conference will be held at the Hershey Lodge on September 6th and 7th.
We will be looking for nominations for payroll person of the year. If you have a nomination, please forward the person's name and details for the nomination to Angela Fiedler at Angela.Fiedler@novachem.com
We are looking for speakers in 2018. Topics such e-Verify, Payroll Accounting, Non-Resident Alien processing and How to Change Payroll Dates are examples. Any of these topics or something else where a subject matter expert is willing to present will be welcomed.
If you or one of your vendors have the ability to present to our group please contact me to schedule your presentation.
The easily accepted topics are listed on this website, http://www.americanpayroll.org/pdfs/chapters/100poptops.pdf. Please review the list and contact me to schedule your speaking opportunity.
Our membership group should be able to supply and support a diverse group of educational opportunities for our Chapter.
Please Tina Frysinger, the Chapter's Education Director, for further information.
Our satellite broadcasting has become a great success as other Chapters are now exploring to add this feature to their Chapters as well. We have secured a viable location in Indiana, PA with a quality program being broadcasted on a consistent basis.
We are looking to expand in 2018. We are the only local payroll Chapter on the western side of the Appalachian Mountains. That means we are the only resource for over 75% of Pennsylvania and 99% of West Virginia as well as good portions of Kentucky and Virginia. Since our Chapters offers a consistent program of at least 15 RCHs annually, our Chapter is prime to expand our outreach to these underserved areas. Other locations could develop as hosts become available. This process will be managed based on a demographic area/zone to ensure our limited bandwidth and resources are managed wisely. Some desired locations include:
- Mercer (Crawford, Erie & Mercer counties plus Youngstown, OH area)
- Somerset (Bedford & Somerset counties)
- Uniontown (Fayette & Greene counties)
- Morgantown, WV (Marion, Monogalia, Preston & Taylor counties)
- Charleston, WV (serving a very large area)
- Huntington, WV (serving a large area)
- Youngstown, OH
- Saint Clairsville, OH
Our goal is to create learning opportunities for more payroll professionals while making it more convenient on everyone's travel concerns. To ensure we stay compliant with any APA concerns, we will treat each satellite location just as the Pittsburgh site. Attendees would need to meet in a central location, sign in and attend the meeting, upon completion of the meeting receive their RCHs for their time and attendance. All of this at a reduced cost versus the rate at the Pittsburgh location since we will not be providing lunch at the satellite locations.
Remember our soldiers & the local food banks.
The food banks need filled EVERY week to sustain their outreach programs. Your donations helps in their efforts.
APA Training Opportunities
The American Payroll Association & local chapters offers many wonderful opportunites to learn, grow and network.
SAVE THE DATES FOR 2018 EDUCATION EVENTS
|May 09, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Jul 11, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Sept 12, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Nov 14, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|July 13-Sept 12 (every Wed)||CPP/FPC study group||Green Tree, PA|
|TBD||CPP/FPC study group||Indiana, PA|
|Apr 11, 2018||Payroll Issues for Multi-State Employers||Philadelphia, PA|
|Apr 11, 2018||Local Income Tax Compliance||Philadelphia, PA|
|June 7-8, 2018||Intermediate Payroll Concepts||Arlington, TX|
|Jun 20, 2018||Payroll Tax Forum||Philadelphia, PA|
|Jul 17-19, 2018||Payroll Practice Essentials||Columbus, OH|
|Aug 13, 2018||Garnishment Forum||Cleveland, OH|
|Sept 6-7, 2018||Pennsylvania Statewide Conference||Hershey, PA|
|Oct 8-9, 2018||Global Payroll Mgmt Certification||Las Vegas, NV|
|Oct 10-12, 2018||Leadership Certificate Program - Strategic Leadership||Chicago, IL|
|Nov 6, 2018||Preparing for Year End & 2019||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Mar 12-13, 2018||Capital Summit||Washington D.C.|
|May 15-19, 2018||APA Congress||Baltimore, MD|
|Sept 2018||Fall Forum||Indianapolis, IN|
|Oct 21-24, 2018||Educational Institutions Payroll Conference||New Orleans, LA|
Some national events have various locations available to attend. Please review the seminar in question on the APA website for location venues available.
Click here for more information: http://www.americanpayroll.org/course-conf/
The Payroll Services Tax Manager is responsible for all payroll tax activities, including compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and filing local, state, and federal payroll tax returns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for managing Quarter and Year End Payroll Tax Filings
• Processing, reconciling client taxes and make corrects as needed.
• Preparing and filing amended returns on behalf of client.
• Resolve client questions with a high level of customer service, communicate with client on tax correspondence and follow up on tax issues to ensure that all issues are correctly resolved and in a timely manner.
• Reconcile and process electronic tax return files.
• W-2 Preparation
• Maintain knowledge of tax issues for federal and local taxing authorities.
• Identify and document re-occurring issues and be proactive in finding a solution to the problem.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor of Science degree in finance/accounting or equivalent work experience in payroll, accounting, or taxation.
• 2-4 years payroll experience
• Federal, State and Local tax knowledge is required
• CPP designation is preferred, but not required
• Experience with MasterTax or similar payroll tax software desired.
• Efficient with Excel and have the ability to learn other software as needed.
Other skills and qualifications
• Problem solving skills
• Ability to work independently and the ability to troubleshoot issues as they arise
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Motivation to provide excellent internal and external customer service
• Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
Contact email is: Careers@ctrhcmcom
Job title: Payroll Specialist
Job code: 4SP042
Exempt or non-exempt: Exempt
Location: Moon Township, PA
Business unit: Human Resources
HarbisonWalker International is a world class refractory organization with extensive manufacturing, sales, and service capabilities and over $550 million in annual revenues.
We provide solutions that drive industry performance in the cement and lime, energy, chemicals, non-ferrous metals, glass, iron and steel, and environmental technology industries.
The Company operates 17 manufacturing plants and 26 distribution centers on three continents. The Company’s Corporate Headquarters are located in Moon Township, PA a suburb of Pittsburgh, near the Pittsburgh International Airport.
Our Mission: Our solutions drive industry performance
Our Vision: We will be the first and only call for industry
Our Values: We are curious, proactive, interdependent, passionate, open and results-oriented
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for activates associated with the processing of assigned payrolls including balancing earnings and deductions totals, reviewing various payroll reports, identifying and correcting errors, and processing garnishments, levies and third-party payments.
- Processing multi-state and Canadian hourly and salaried payrolls
- Processing and reconciling wage garnishments and attachments
- Processing union reports and deductions
- Preparing various payroll reports for plants
- Processing monthly general ledger entries
- Requires an Associate’s degree, bachelors preferred
- Two (2) to five (5) years of progressive payroll processing experience that includes of benefits, tax and accounting or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Requires Ultimate Software knowledge.
- Requires knowledge of union payroll.
- Possess knowledge of federal, state wage and labor laws.
Talent Acquisition Manager
1305 Cherrington Parkway | Suite 100
Moon Township, PA 15108