WELCOME TO 2018
As we welcome a new year and look forward to the end a long winter, we had our first meeting of 2018!!
I wish to thank Michael Garofalo for presenting at our first meeting of the new year. He covered a lot of material concerning some updates detailing his take on the current status of the ACA. Once we receive the slideshow from him it will be upload to our website. We wish to give a great round of applause to Angela Feidler and Tina Frysinger for their update on the Tax Cuts and Job Act that was passed in late December 2017. The slideshow from their presentation has been uploaded to our website. Anyone wishing to listen to our Chapter meeting along with the slide show check out our video portfolio. The video link is available under our Resources page.
It's never to late to renew your membership for 2018. All 2017 memberships lost access to our website at the end of March. Renew today and enjoy all the benefits of your local Chapter. Annual dues are $50 per person. We will always have the Black Friday special after the November meeting and offer a $10 discount if membership is renewed by December 31st. A rock bottom rate for everyone!
NEW PLATINUM SPONSOR
We wish to welcome Ultimate Software as our newest Platinum Sponsor. We look forward to a long last relationship between our two organizations.
2018 PAYROLL PERSON OF THE YEAR
The Susquehanna Valley Chapter of the APA is in the planning stages for the 2018 Statewide Payroll Conference. The conference will be held at the Hershey Lodge on September 6th and 7th.
We will be looking for nominations for payroll person of the year. If you have a nomination, please forward the person's name and details for the nomination to Angela Fiedler at Angela.Fiedler@novachem.com
We are looking for speakers in 2018. Topics such e-Verify, Payroll Accounting, Non-Resident Alien processing and How to Change Payroll Dates are examples. Any of these topics or something else where a subject matter expert is willing to present will be welcomed.
If you or one of your vendors have the ability to present to our group please contact me to schedule your presentation.
The easily accepted topics are listed on this website, http://www.americanpayroll.org/pdfs/chapters/100poptops.pdf. Please review the list and contact me to schedule your speaking opportunity.
Our membership group should be able to supply and support a diverse group of educational opportunities for our Chapter.
Please Tina Frysinger, the Chapter's Education Director, for further information.
Our satellite broadcasting has become a great success as other Chapters are now exploring to add this feature to their Chapters as well. We have secured a viable location in Indiana, PA with a quality program being broadcasted on a consistent basis.
We are looking to expand in 2018. We are the only local payroll Chapter on the western side of the Appalachian Mountains. That means we are the only resource for over 75% of Pennsylvania and 99% of West Virginia as well as good portions of Kentucky and Virginia. Since our Chapters offers a consistent program of at least 15 RCHs annually, our Chapter is prime to expand our outreach to these underserved areas. Other locations could develop as hosts become available. This process will be managed based on a demographic area/zone to ensure our limited bandwidth and resources are managed wisely. Some desired locations include:
- Mercer (Crawford, Erie & Mercer counties plus Youngstown, OH area)
- Somerset (Bedford & Somerset counties)
- Uniontown (Fayette & Greene counties)
- Morgantown, WV (Marion, Monogalia, Preston & Taylor counties)
- Charleston, WV (serving a very large area)
- Huntington, WV (serving a large area)
- Youngstown, OH
- Saint Clairsville, OH
Our goal is to create learning opportunities for more payroll professionals while making it more convenient on everyone's travel concerns. To ensure we stay compliant with any APA concerns, we will treat each satellite location just as the Pittsburgh site. Attendees would need to meet in a central location, sign in and attend the meeting, upon completion of the meeting receive their RCHs for their time and attendance. All of this at a reduced cost versus the rate at the Pittsburgh location since we will not be providing lunch at the satellite locations.
Remember our soldiers & the local food banks.
The food banks need filled EVERY week to sustain their outreach programs. Your donations helps in their efforts.
APA Training Opportunities
The American Payroll Association & local chapters offers many wonderful opportunites to learn, grow and network.
SAVE THE DATES FOR 2018 EDUCATION EVENTS
|May 09, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Jul 11, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Sept 12, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|Nov 14, 2018||Western PA Chapter - meeting||Green Tree, PA|
|July 13-Sept 12 (every Wed)||CPP/FPC study group||Green Tree, PA|
|TBD||CPP/FPC study group||Indiana, PA|
|Apr 11, 2018||Payroll Issues for Multi-State Employers||Philadelphia, PA|
|Apr 11, 2018||Local Income Tax Compliance||Philadelphia, PA|
|June 7-8, 2018||Intermediate Payroll Concepts||Arlington, TX|
|Jun 20, 2018||Payroll Tax Forum||Philadelphia, PA|
|Jul 17-19, 2018||Payroll Practice Essentials||Columbus, OH|
|Aug 13, 2018||Garnishment Forum||Cleveland, OH|
|Sept 6-7, 2018||Pennsylvania Statewide Conference||Hershey, PA|
|Oct 8-9, 2018||Global Payroll Mgmt Certification||Las Vegas, NV|
|Oct 10-12, 2018||Leadership Certificate Program - Strategic Leadership||Chicago, IL|
|Nov 6, 2018||Preparing for Year End & 2019||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Mar 12-13, 2018||Capital Summit||Washington D.C.|
|May 15-19, 2018||APA Congress||Baltimore, MD|
|Sept 2018||Fall Forum||Indianapolis, IN|
|Oct 21-24, 2018||Educational Institutions Payroll Conference||New Orleans, LA|
Some national events have various locations available to attend. Please review the seminar in question on the APA website for location venues available.
Click here for more information: http://www.americanpayroll.org/course-conf/
Title Payroll/Benefit Administrator
Reports to Controller
This position is to administer all employee benefits complete all aspects of a bi-weekly payroll and
provide employee service in all these areas. Maintains and enhances the organization's human
resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources
policies, programs, and practices. The position is also responsible for general ledger
Summary of essential job function
- Maintains Club’s personnel files, including supervisors authorized pay rate changes, vacation request and changes authorized by employee
- Prepares internal and external position vacancy advertisements.
- Plans and conducts applicable club-wide training, wellness and benefit programs
- Administer employee benefits including health, dental, life/AD&D, short term disability, AFLAC products, COBRA, and HRA accounts.
- Enrollment and orientation of new hires and processing of terminated employees
- Bi-weekly payroll processing of all departments utilizing an online payroll service
- Audits all hourly and salaried employee timesheets to ensure that information is properly approved, calculated and coded according to payroll procedures and policy
- Investigate and resolve pay discrepancy questions
- Assist employees or supervisor on problems relating to payroll and benefit issues.
- Complete PA unemployment claim forms and all other forms requesting employee information.
- Audit monthly bills for above insurance and process invoices through account payable system
- Reconciliation of specific balance sheet accounts, possibly requiring general ledger journal entries
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, requirements, procedures and policies
- Files compliance reports with respective federal and state agencies.
- I-9 compliance and record keeping.
- Administrating through ADP the drug testing and background check policies
- Processing all work-related injury claims to ensure integrity, ongoing case management and reporting compliance with worker compensation insurance and OSHA recordkeeping
- A permanent position on the Safety Committee
- Assists in the development of the employee handbook and new personnel policies and procedures
- Interacts with General Manager and department heads to investigate employee violations of Club policies and to recommend corrective action, if necessary
- Bi-weekly vacation accrual entry and tracking of vacation used
- Monthly payroll reports to assist in month end closing.
- Assist with annual worker’s compensation audit and the year-end financial audit
- Calendar year-end review prior to W-2 distribution
- Prepare and maintains fiscal year-end files
- Publishes the employee newsletter
Associate degree in Accounting, minimum requirement.
Five years’ prior payroll and benefit experience.
Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a high volume and changing work environment
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with members, clients, managers and employees in a professional manner.
A motivated, detailed oriented self-starter who also works well in a collaborative environment.
Working knowledge of federal, state and local payroll and tax legislation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Payroll Tax Auditor
Location: Pittsburgh, PAType: Full TimeMin. Experience: Mid Level
An excellent career opportunity is currently available for a Payroll Tax Auditor located at Aires Pittsburgh, PA office. We are seeking individuals with a strong work ethic, high energy level and a commitment to quality. This is an exciting opportunity for accounting professionals with a background in federal tax and auditing to ensure that the audit guidelines are met and the internal process checks are in place and followed.
Aires (www.aires.com) has been providing best-in-class relocation management services for over 30 years and is a recognized industry leader in delivering high quality relocation and assignment management services to leading corporations.
An award-winning technology platform, built in-house, that aligns with the future state of Global Mobility
A financially stable organization with a history of 15%-20% organic annual growth
A competitive compensation, a high internal promotion rate and a full benefits package including a 401K match
Collect, review and submit the audit material on a quarterly basis and ensure that SOC and ISO guidelines are met during audits
Review payroll and ensure it adheres to our strict guidelines
Conduct quarterly audit review
Review standard process documents to ensure they are up-to-date for all clients
Review daily team deliverables and ensure the appropriate paperwork is completed in a timely manner
Review Assist Audit report to ensure daily deliverables are sent
Collaborate with Tax Reporting team and provide feedback based on review findings
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field. Advanced degree preferred (Master’s/MBA)
Minimum of 2 years of federal tax experience
Prior tax compliance and audit experience
High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office products, particularly Excel
Strong attention to details and a commitment to client service
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Self-motivated with critical attention to deadlines and reporting
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Leah Caputo, CRP, CPP
Manager, Payroll, Aires
Tel 412.677.1666 • Mobile 480.320.0722
Union Payroll Specialist
401K – match up to 6%
Also have a Safe Harbor where they contribute 3%
Vacation is on an accrual basis
Year one 80 hours (Will prorate this year)
Year two – 120 hours
Flextime Can start anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30
130 unions (typically about 40 active)
Summary: Our Union Payroll Specialist will perform all necessary union payroll related functions to ensure the accuracy of processing weekly union payroll, reporting and paying of all union benefits, dues, and fringes. This position will work under close supervision of the Operational Accounting Manager and other experienced staff.
Process an accurate and timely in-house union payroll
Multi-state union reporting and processing of fringe benefits
Setting up new union rates and benefits and updating existing union rates
Knowledge of Certified Payrolls and OCIP reports
Resolve employee union benefit issues
Prepare and maintain all payroll related records and reports
Prepare and submit the appropriate federal and state returns on a timely basis
Wage attachments and garnishments
Set up and maintain employees in Viewpoint
Education & Training:
Minimum of a High School diploma with a business emphasis required.
2+ years of payroll experience, including union reporting
Knowledge and Abilities:
Understand the entire process of an in-house union payroll
Strong knowledge of certified payroll and OCIP Reports
Strong knowledge of multi-state union reporting, including payment of fringe benefits and dues
Understanding of Payroll Rules and Regulations
Viewpoint experience a plus
MS Word, Excel
Michael Riddle, Division Director
Robert Half Accounting Operations
1001 Liberty Avenue, Suite 400| Pittsburgh | PA 15222
Overview of Position:
Oversees all the operations of the Payroll Department to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the Firm's payroll processing and tax reporting responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises all aspects of the Payroll Department ensuring productivity and accuracy of the work completed by the Payroll Coordinator.
- Responsible for all federal, state, and local withholding tax deposits.
- Review and/or process semi-monthly and monthly payrolls, manual checks, and/or bonuses. The payroll process relates to all payroll changes and corrections from Accounting, Human Resources, and employees.
- Works with external auditors to compile information to support quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Works with year-end payroll application to ensure functionality and tax compliance for shareholder distributions.
- Issuance of annual W2 statements.
- Responds to all inquiries, both internal and external, on a timely and professional basis.
- Acts as the iPay Administrator and is responsible for the set-up of new employees and responding to issues or questions about the application from all employees, as needed.
- Runs payroll reports for Accounting and Human Resources.
- Collaborates with the human resources team on a regular basis regarding payroll matters.
- All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent work experience.
CPP, a plus.
Minimum of five (5) years of related payroll experience, preferably with a professional services firm.
Experience with federal, state, and local withholding tax deposits.
Minimum 1-2 years of prior supervisory experience.
Knowledge of Automated Data Processing (ADP) Payroll (or other payroll application).
Knowledge of payroll common practices.
Ability to interpret tax publications.
Ability to delegate.
Ability to define problems and find a solution.
Demonstrated mathematical skills including: ability to calculate and apply percentages, ratios, and proportions.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
Demonstrated organizational skills.
Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
Must maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.
Ability to work as part of a team.
Ability to work overtime, as needed.
Comprehensive Compensation Package to include;
Salary up to $85,000
Pension/Profit Sharing program
If there is an interest in learning more about this opportunity or any other direct hire payroll opportunities in the greater Pittsburgh area, please contact Michael Riddle.
Michael Riddle, Division Director
Robert Half Accounting Operations
Robert Half Accounting Operations has a great new opportunity for a Payroll Administrator located Northeast of Pittsburgh (Apollo). Candidates for the Payroll Administrator will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity please email your updated resume directly. Salary 40,000.
- Process all bi-weekly payroll via ADP
- Online Earnings Statements – Administer site, upload check stubs to online website weekly
- Timesheet entry – various payroll groups, salary foremen (key foremen to job)
- Ensure W-2s are posted/distributed accurately and on time
- 401(k) – process and pay withholdings (including loans) weekly, conduct weekly and yearly audit
- Employment verifications
- Unemployment responses
- Journal entries – entry to move PR wages, benefits, taxes and WC
- Prepare accrual numbers for Accounting Manager
- Balancing various intercompany accounts
- Update payroll general ledger accounts and accounts reconciliations
- Assist with other assigned duties as needed
The ideal candidate for this Payroll Opportunity will meet the following criteria.
- ADP Workforce Now experience is a must have.
- Handle sensitive/confidential information
- Strong organizational skills; detail oriented
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills
- Associate's degree in related field or equivalent education, training & experience
- 2+ years’ experience within the payroll processing field
Robert Half Accounting Operations has a great new opportunity for a Finance Administrator located in Fox Chapel. Candidates for the Payroll Administrator will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity please email your updated resume directly. Amy.Perrotta@roberthalf.com. Salary 40,000.
FCPC Mission: To be a welcoming and caring community of faith
through which the living God transforms lives.
Title: Finance Administrator
Area of Ministries: Finance and Endowment
Supervisor: Head of Staff
FLSA Status: Full-time exempt
Location: Fox Chapel
- NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Head of Staff, the Finance Administrator provides and maintains accurate accounting and business records for the church
- Maintain accurate accounting records for the church and preschool, including
- General Ledger
- Accounts Payable
- Individual Contribution Records
- Bank Accounts
- Miscellaneous Cash
- Endowment, Investment, and other special accounts
- Prepare monthly financial statements, financial projections, and analyses
- Coordinate the counting, recording, and acknowledgement of all offerings and gifts
- Prepare bank deposits
- Ensure compliance with internal controls
- Coordinates development and preparation of the church budget
- Serve as liaison with external auditors in the annual audit process
- Work with the Treasurer to establish and maintain banking relationships
- Acts as support to the Discipleship Committee, especially in developing the yearly stewardship drive
- Oversees the planned giving program of the church, including bequests/memorials, deferred giving and trust funds
- Tax: - Prepare and file tax reports
- PCUSA Benefits Plan
- Serve as Flexible Spending Account and Supplemental Medical Reimbursement Plan Administrator
- Professional Reimbursement Plan
- Prepare payroll and associated reports
- Responsible for the computer network administration
- Act as a liaison with the outside technology company, currently Midnight Blue Technology Services.
- Serve as Shelby Administrator
- Human Resources
- Maintain business employment files
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date personnel files
- Acts as human resource manager for all staff members
- Facilitates orientation of newly hired staff members
- Committees: - Attend Staff, Finance and Endowment Committee meetings, support Stewardship and others upon request
- Serve as liaison with church’s insurance carriers regarding coverage, premium rates, and claims
- Evaluates all financial commitments and contracts
- Perform special projects as requested
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Act collaboratively with the Finance and Support and Endowment Trust Committees to accomplish the financial work of the church. An annual evaluation will be conducted by the Administration and Personnel Committee.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSILILITIES:
Train and supervise Finance Office Assistant Treasurers, Finance Assistant and volunteers
- QUALIFICATIONS: A proper search as described under Hiring Policy in the Personnel Manual will be conducted to find the person for this position. The qualified candidate will be recommended and approved by Administration and Personnel Committee and Session. Qualifications will include:
- Degree in accounting
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook, plus database accounting
- ACT 33/34 and FBI fingerprinting clearances are required.
Respect and communication are the backbone of an effective, productive team environment. FCPC employees are accountable for constructive dialogue and mutual problem solving. Core attributes of teamwork are characterized by: a commitment to the organization and to one another; trust; cooperation; and a shared vision of success.
Although the primary responsibilities of each staff member may vary, their role is to accomplish the work of the church, to work cooperatively as a team member, and to assist each other when needed on major and / or time sensitive tasks.
Robert Half Accounting Operations has a great new opportunity for an HRIS Specialist located in North Hills. Candidates for the Payroll Administrator will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity please email your updated resume directly. Amy.Perrotta@roberthalf.com. Salary 55,000.
Position reports to the Chief HR Officer
Personality Type: Team player, not afraid to take on many variable tasks, picks up when another slacks off, can work independently without having to be micromanaged
Hours: Flexible as long as you are putting in your 8 per day
Location: McKnight Rd North Hills
Benefits: MDV, 2 weeks PTO plus 15 sick days and 7 holidays
Tuition Reimbursement: Up to 1500 per year
401k: Available after year 2, company will give 2% every year, and match 2% of whatever individual contributes
Robert Half Accounting Operations has a great new opportunity for a Payroll Administrator located in Washington but moving to Canonsburg. Candidates for the Payroll Administrator will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity please email your updated resume directly. Amy.Perrotta@roberthalf.com. Salary 50,000.
Accountant for Payroll, Benefits Management, & General Ledger
Job Description - Accountant will report directly to the Controller. Successful candidate will be responsible for Payroll and Benefits Management for Steel Nation including Holding, Buildings, Engineering, and Environmental. This would include payroll entry in ADP/Run, corresponding GL entries and reconciliations, uploading employee enrollment information to various supplier portals. General Ledger responsibilities include intercompany distribution and reconciliation of benefits and other expenses, month end accruals, bank reconciliations, and report preparation for management.
- Process 6 to 8 payroll cycles monthly for 4 entities
- 2 Monthly Cycles
- SNH Salaried
- SNB Salaried with monthly commissions
- 2 Bi-weekly cycle
- SNG hourly and salary mixed
- SNV hourly with commissions
- Processing will include HSA withhold management and deposit into EE accounts
- 2 Monthly Cycles
- Compute and process monthly commissions for SN Buildings and SN Environmental
- SN Buildings
- Review current jobs each month to determine if ready for commissions to be paid and prepare backup documentation for management review
- Calculate commissions per job
- Compile commission per employee
- Process with monthly payroll
- SN Environmental
- Monthly commission computed and processed on the following weekly payroll
- SN Buildings
- Manage Enrollments
- Through supplier portals, add, update changes, delete employee coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, STD/LTD
- Update payroll withholdings for the above insurance changes
- Manage Payments
- Maintain spreadsheets to track costs for each employee, their contributions to premium and distribution to related companies
- Approve benefit payables
- Distribute costs from SNB to other entities
- Assist Controller with month end closing including account reconciliations, accruals, report preparation.
- Monthly Bank Reconciliation for all entities, currently 10 per month
- Maintain and distribute Dashboard for Bank and Cash Management
Bachelors in Accounting with minimum of 3-years’ experience with payroll and benefits management. Understanding of intercompany transactions, accruals, month end closing processes. Above average of proficiency in MS Excel including v-lookups and pivot tables. Proficient in MS Office 360. Willingness to work overtime as needed. Experience with Sage 100 is a plus.
Robert Half Accounting Operations has a great new opportunity for a Payroll Administrator located in Station Square but moving to Canonsburg. Candidates for the Payroll Administrator will be responsible for but not limited to the following duties. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity please email your updated resume directly. Amy.Perrotta@roberthalf.com. Salary 40-48000.
Amy Jo Perrotta
phone: (412)471-5946 fax: (412)471-0864
1001 Liberty Avenue, Suite 400 | Pittsburgh | PA 15222| roberthalffinance.com